Can I see an experienced Trichologist on the NHS?

Q&A Sessions

Unfortunately, you can’t see any Trichologist on the NHS at present.

Many patients I see report that the GP has not been very helpful, and if referring to a Dermatologist – you would be very lucky to find a specialist of this nature who had a “special interest” in hair loss and scalp conditions or the experience with the various conditions I treat with the Trichology sector.

What is Trichology?

Trichology is the science and study of hair (from the Greek ‘trikhos’ meaning hair). Clinical trichology (i.e. trichology in the context of practising members of the Institute) is the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and disorders of the hair and scalp.

Visit this page to learn more about Trichology.

So, who is a “qualified trichologist”?

So far as the Institute is concerned, a qualified trichologist is someone qualified by and registered with the Institute.

Other people with nothing to do with the Institute might claim to be ‘qualified’, but the Institute does not recognise them as ‘qualified trichologists’.

Male and female hair baldnesshair lossAlopecia, and scalp conditions can all be treated at Shuna Hammocks Trichology.

If you feel that your hair is falling out too much and causing a lot of upset, would you be prepared to wait up to 3 months for a referral? In most cases, I can book new patients 2-3 weeks ahead.

Seeing a Hair Loss Specialist on The NHS

The NHS can treat general hair loss conditions. However, it does not have experience in such a special category as hair loss and scalp conditions. I find it unfortunate that more doctors do not suggest that their patients should seek advice from a member of The Institute of Trichologists such as myself.

It is vital that those seeking help are sure to validate any specialist qualifications really well. Far too many pseudo-clinics out there (including cosmetic therapists) claim to operate as ethical practitioners- who turn out to be pure charlatans.

Book An Appointment


Posts You Might Like